Railroad Museum Tour
The Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum is owned and operated by the Suffolk Nansemond Historical Society, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Touring the museum enables the society to continue preservation efforts in out community. We are grateful for your support and hope that your experience with us is pleasant.
Railroad Museum Tour Guidelines
In order to make your visit as educational and entertaining as possible, we ask that you help us by adhering to the following guidelines. Tours are usually best suited for students in grades 1st through 12th. Kindergarten and Pre-K school groups are best limited to a maximum of 10 to a group and should be accompanied by the recommended supervisors and chaperones of one adult to five students.
- Please schedule your tour at least two weeks in advance by filling out a tour application form. You can mail it to P. O. Box 1255, Suffolk, VA 23439-1255, fax it to (757) 923-4750, or e-mail it to email@example.com. We will make every effort to provide your tour on the date of your choice, but in order to do this you must provide as much advance information as possible.
- Teachers/planners should call or visit the museum before sending the application form to determine the appropriate objectives of the visit (SOL preparation, Suffolk history, transportation, architecture, etc.). If tour is to comply with SOL requirements, please attach SOL adjectives so that we may customize your group tour accordingly. We want your visit to complement your educational focus. Prior orientation is expected for children as well as adults. Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, many with professional and educational experience. Prior notification of your tour will enable us to schedule a volunteer that best suits your objectives.
- Groups are best limited to 20 not including adult supervision for children. We normally split the group into smaller groups of 10-12. May we suggest that one group tours the museum while the other tours the cemetery or caboose. We do not recommend cemetery tours for Pre-School through 2nd grade. We have a few alternatives to enhance Pre-school through 2nd grade tours so that it is educational and age appropriate.
- Adult chaperones – younger age children should be accompanied by at least one adult per five (5) children. Having children assigned to groups of five before arriving for the tour eliminates confusion and saves time.
- Group fees – The student fee for tours is $1.00 per person including their supervisors and chaperones. Adult tours are $2.00 per person. Tours of historic Cedar Hill Cemetery have an additional fee of $1.00 per person for students and $2.00 per person for adults. On the day of the tour, the group leader should have a check made out to SNHS or cash in the exact amount to pay for the tour. Your group will be given a receipt before the conclusion of the tour.
- Gift shop – There is a gift shop located within the museum. We welcome your group to shop for souvenirs of their visit. When we schedule your group we allow time for shopping. We stock a variety of colonial related items that may be useful for upcoming class projects. Our specialty is history books and train related gifts and toys. Also try our delicious gourmet peanuts. We carry a wonderful variety of note cards, historical postcards, cookbooks, and unique gifts for all occasions.
Download Tour Application Form
HOURS OF OPERATION
Wednesday - Friday:
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
10:00 - 3:00 pm
1:00 - 4:00 pm
326 N. Main Street
Suffolk, Virginia 23434
phone (757) 923-4750
fax (757) 923-4751